Wonder Woman?

I am currently very confused by the most recent developments with the new David E. Kelly version of the Wonder Woman TV show. I can only hope Kelly knows exactly what he's doing. Earlier today, cementing the fact that this is actually happening, the lead actress was cast. Personally, she looks way too young to be a corporate executive. But then, such is Hollywood. However, in the mix of that news, stranger news was also announced. It seems that it won't just be Diana Price and Wonder Woman. Someone named Diana Themyscria is also around.

In my quest to understand this very confusing plot point I may have found some answers which ease my concerns a bit. Initially I was concerned Kelly would turn Diana Price/Wonder Woman into an antisocial workaholic who spend all her time working or fighting evil. Workaholic women with no time for a family or meaningful male companionship is a tired trope and it's not like Ally McBeal and its hallucinogenic dancing baby did anything to help that either. Yet it seems most of the control and day-to-day life of Themyscria Industries is controlled by a trusted mentor rather than Diana herself. Which is a reasonable solution, not unlike what Bruce Wayne/Batman does with Wayne Industries. It also seems she has numerous love interests including Steve Rogers her comic mainstay. So yay for not being a workaholic business woman?! Time will only tell how bad or good this could be.

But I still don't understand this other Diana personality. I'm hoping that more information comes out about that. I mean, isn't hard enough with two different personas? It seems Diana Price is the mousy personal assistant to Diana Themyscria, confident, powerful CEO and Wonder Woman is the third personality. Maybe someone with in-sight into the comics can explain.

I'm also disappointed they went as usual with a white actress. Gina Torres was totally my pick. I mean, the Amazons, despite being Greek in the comics, can be anything. They aren't exactly normal Greeks anyway....being mostly immoral super-women. I maintain my view that there needs to be more racial diversity in TV, especially among the lead roles. But I guess time will tell if Adrianne Palicki is a good fit.

I just hope they still with the classic costume. As burlesque as it is, it's a lot better than the leggings she's wearing now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

Gossip Girl 2021 Review (based on one episode)