Summer of Netflix Day 55 - Stretch



Joel: Eh. I can’t say that I’m sorry I saw this movie, or that I regret seeing it. I’m not mad at the movie for existing, like I have been with other movies this summer. But I probably won’t ever go out of my way to see it again. I won’t be recommending it to any of my friends and if I come across it while flipping through channels in the future, I’ll probably keep right on flipping. It’s feels like the movie starts off trying to be a modern film noir movie, but doesn’t really have any ideas about the genre except that there’s a ton of narration from the main character. It also seemed to rely far too heavily on the idea that sometimes weird things are funny, but forgot that sometimes weird things are just weird. Far too often the movie stopped to let you take in how strange someone or something was, but didn’t really have anything to add it it. But it’s hard to muster any strong feelings toward the movie one way or another. The whole experience of watching the movie just left me feeling numb. I didn’t feel compelled to cheer for the characters, but then again, I didn’t hate them so much that I was rooting for them to fail. So to sum up the entire movie, “Eh” about covers it.

Chris: Stretch felt like the writer was a big fan of Crank and decided not to instill any sort of interesting plot device to justify all the crazy things Stretch as to do all while we’re suppose to accept that happily ever after ending. Well I don’t accept it, I refuse because it’s just a crap way to end a movie like this. At least Crank pushed the limits of absurdity that it came to a screeching halt, Stretch just kept going and like Joel said, just made things weird for the sake of being weird. It’s like how I can’t stand Tim Burton because everything has to be dark and off-putting for no plot or character enhancing purposes but only to be dark and off-putting. And seriously, after all that absurdity, they had the audacity to give the audience a “happiness was right in front of him the whole time” ending? Go back to film school with that garbage. I enjoy Patrick Wilson and most of the cast in this movie but seriously, this movie can go inject itself inside itself, maybe then it’ll find a more believable ending.

Your Viewing Homework for Tomorrow: In A World...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30 Muse Songs (5 - 1)

The Full Spectrum: Dear Hunter's White EP

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)