Summer of Netflix Day 54 - I Hate Christian Laettner
Joel: As a fairly die hard Carolina fan, I had to consciously remind myself at points that this is a review about the movie itself, not the subjects covered in this documentary. Because I have some strong opinions on why you should hate Duke, but again, not the point of the review. I don’t think this is as strong of a movie as the 30 for 30 installment we watched earlier in the summer, but I think part of that is just the topic covered. The story isn’t as heart wrenching or as emotional as Once Brothers, but not all stories can be. The near universal hatred of Duke is an interesting thing, especially with it cropping up so recently in comparison to the history of the sport. And Christian Laettner is a great starting point to really dive into that era of Duke Basketball, but it feels like there’s so much more to be said. It’s almost like I want this movie to be the first in a series dedicated to fan passion when it comes to college basketball. I want to see the next several years discussed, Duke’s rivalry with UNC, the issue of players not staying for four years anymore, Coach K’s legacy, especially compared to some of the coaches he’s gone up against. But a complaint that a documentary left me wanting more is not really a criticism of the movie. It took the time period that he had (Laettner’s four years) and used fan’s hatred of that one character as a great framing device to really look at the beginnings of Duke’s rise. But now I’m ready for basketball season again.
Chris: I really do hate Christian Laettner, I always have and probably always will and it doesn’t make sense because I was born during his freshman year and was only 4 by the time he finished up his college career. However, when it comes to a nearly universal hatred for Duke, he’s the poster boy, he played up that part and it worked very well on the court for Duke and brought the Duke Basketball name to the forefront of social consciousness and has really never left since. But I enjoyed this documentary because it delved into what makes a great villain, simply using Laettner as an example. I’m also looking at this from a wrestling fan perspective and the Laettner exemplifies the elements that make a successful, cocky heel. And yes, Laettner is a nice, decent person off the court but as a player? Biggest scumbag that there ever was and I hated how much he was able to back it up. Sure, he didn’t necessarily translate into the NBA but that’s just the way things go. As a lifelong UNC-Chapel Hill fan, I’ve sort of gotten use to not expecting much out of the great college players in recent years when it comes productivity in the NBA. But then again, it’s hard to impress anybody after Jordan.
Your Viewing Homework for Tomorrow: Stretch



Comments
Post a Comment