Summer of Netflix Day 3 - Galaxy Quest


A movie that could've easily been a laughable joke but ended up being an enjoyable sci-fi satire/spoof that would enjoy a life of cult classic status among sci-fi fans all over. Galaxy Quest boasts a main and secondary cast that might catch the casual viewer by surprise. Today, Joel, Chris and Megan all share their thoughts.

Joel's Thoughts: There’s this really old comment that people like to bring up every time that Galaxy Quest is mentioned about how it’s the best Star Trek movie ever made. I get the quote and I get why it’s funny but it’s always irked me a tiny bit. Because Galaxy Quest isn’t a Star Trek Movie, it’s a Star Trek experience movie. The movie is about people who live Galaxy Quest (Star Trek) so much that they base their entire civilization around it. Yeah you’ve got Justin Long’s character as a traditional trekkie dedicating his life to the show, but the aliens that we see in the movie are that times a thousand. Thats what this movie captures so well. That unending, undeterrable love for a thing. The Thermians can’t even see the flaws in something (like the pointless chompers) because they are so blinded by love and excitement for the thing. I remember being a kid and seeing Star Wars at about six, and pretty much deciding “Yep. This is my everything now.” Something that brings that much happiness and excitement to people should be celebrated, it doesn’t matter that it’s fictional. The excitement that these characters have, from the Thermians meeting their heroes for the first time, to Justin Long being told that the ship is real, I know what that excitement feels like to see something you love so much presented before you like that. That level of enthusiasm is a good thing.


Chris' Thoughts: I really enjoyed this movie when it first came out when I was 11, but this was the same kid that thought Lost in Space was the best movie ever made. Watching it for the first time in 15 years, I appreciated the movie a lot more because it’s an incredible balance of being a sci-fi spoof while also being a funny and entertaining movie on it’s own. In a few days, we’re going to watch another movie called They Came Together, a spoof of romantic comedies, and that is an example of when the spoof element gets in the way of the story of the actual movie. So it’s a challenging feat to accomplish, one that I think Galaxy Quest does an amazing job.


Megan's Thoughts: So despite being a more or less life-long Star Trek fan and hearing about Galaxy Quest for years and years, I had yet to actually watch it until recently. I really, really enjoyed it. I think my favorite thing was just how well it captures the fan vs creator experience while still being really lighthearted about it. It could have easily become a terrible sarcastic mess mocking fans, but instead balanced the tediousness of an out-of-work actors long remembered past career and the sheer joy of meeting someone who’s had such an influence on your life without ever even knowing it. Definitely the best Star Trek movie.




Your Viewing Homework For Tomorrow: Liberal Arts





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 30 Muse Songs (5 - 1)

The Full Spectrum: Dear Hunter's White EP

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)