A Potterhead's Feelings on Watching The Deathly Hallows Part 2

*Not a lot of Deathly Hallows Part 2 spoilers in here, but a few in here, so proceed with caution!*

As a lover of Harry Potter for almost half of my life, it's hard to put into words how I felt watching the last movie. It was exciting, to see all the fans and meet new people and talk about costuming, favorite characters, cherished memories from book releases and theme park visits. But it was also heartbreaking.

I first picked up a Harry Potter book when I was 11 years old, and it changed my life. It sounds ridiculous, but I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that feeling. I grew up with these books, at just about the right ages for every one of them, and when the last book came out I was so upset. But, I knew I would get to see the fans again, and get to experience the stories again through the movies, so it didn't seem to final.

The fandom won't just disappear now that it's all wrapped up, and the books and movies will be there to enjoy again, but it's difficult to see the credits roll on something you hold dear. This fandom has given me a lot. A few of my closest friends I wouldn't know without these books as an initial conversation point. One of the first costumes I made was for a Harry Potter book release, and now cosplay is one of my biggest hobbies. And I'm sure I'm not alone in stories like these. When something is a part of your life for ten years, it really makes an impact on you.

So sitting in the theater, watching the last movie, was a huge mix of emotions. I cried a lot, and if the sniffling during quiet parts were any indication, so did most of the theater. I must say, of all of the movies, this was probably my favorite. I've heard a lot of complaints about things they cut out, and I can't say that I don't miss the more developed Dumbledore story or longer death scenes, but I can definitely understand and support why those things were cut out.

It was a melancholic feeling to see those credits roll. I will say that the book upset me more, but I there's something about actually seeing the characters go through the pain that makes things just a little bit harder. But we do have the excitement of Pottermore, experiencing the books and new information in a different way. And of course, as the marvelous J.K. Rowling herself said, "Hogwarts will always be here to welcome you home."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

You're the Worst 5.13: "Pancakes"