An Overly Detailed Look at: The X-Men First Class trailer

X2 came out in 2003. That's going on eight years since this franchise was at its peak (or was even any good as some would say)

I personally, am willing to give the Wolverine Origins movie a little slack (those it is not without its problems) and X-Men 3 usually causes a mad scramble for the remote whenever it appears on FX.

So, I am torn between hoping that this movie will save the franchise that I was promised back in 2003 when I first saw X2, and just hoping that this won't be that disaster that we saw come after. Most likely were going to get something in the middle but for now what we do have is a trailer.




I am really enjoying this intro. The history between Professor X and Magneto has long been one of the most interesting stories in the Marvel universe and while the comics may have turned that into a confusing family tree, the movie universe still has that time period shrouded in mystery so I'm looking forward to what route this movie takes.

Cuban Missile Crisis? Its strange to think of X-men in the past as all of the other movies have worked in the realm of "the not too distant future" Will this have any effect on the kind of technology that the X-men will have access to? Or will we just assume that Professor X is still advanced enough to have built a giant plane already?

So are we supposed to know who all of these people are? I remember in previous X-men trailers going "Oh man that's this guy or that guy" I remember getting excited when new characters were revealed in the trailer. This scene of faces seems to be looking for that situation but I don't recognize anybody. I assume that this is Mystique:


But without anybody else using powers, I can't be sure of who is who without the use of the Internet. Thus no excitement for any of these people yet.

Hey It's Beast!!




Why is he flying a jet for the military? I don't know, and I don't care. Beast is cool, and I would love for him to be in an X-men movie that's not the third one.

And then we get a whole bunch of scenes where we see snippets of Eric turning Evil, what looks to be Emma Frost using her powers, (I'll bet she was the girl all in white from the earlier part of the trailer), What looks to be the invention and possibly the first use of Cerebo and wait a minute is that Kevin Bacon?


I forgot he was going to be in this movie at all. This is going to do wonders for my "Six Degrees" game. According to IMDb he is going to be playing Sebastian Shaw for those who are interested in how Mr. Bacon is going to fit into our current X-Men universe.

Let me take a moment here to say how wonderful it was that Ian McKellen played Magneto in the first three X-Men movies. McKellen is truly a great actor and his presence not only legitimized the part, but really created a complex character out of what could have been a flat super villain. The escape scene from X2 in particular has stayed with me and I don't think that would have been the case if another actor was in the part. I would have it no other way. That being said, McKellen is not a action star. His Magneto is not a character I would expect to get to involved in the nitty gritty part of fighting nor would he ever find himself working his way through extended action sequences that seem to dominate summer blockbusters.

This movie is your chance. If you ever want to put Magneto in these kinds of situations, see Magneto as the action star with explosions and helicopters, this would be the movie to do it in. I always loved the fact that Magneto for the most part would be a puppet master style of villain having the Brotherhood characters do most of the actual fighting. But this is a movie were I might like to see a younger, perhaps less patient, more hot headed Magneto get his hands dirty. With scenes like this.


Yea that's what I'm talking about.

Again I want this movie to be good. X-men is a franchise that could go on forever, but the past couple of years have done so much to prevent that from happening. Is this a final attempt? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't want to risk it so please First Class, try and be a good movie.
We'll find out on June 3rd.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

Gossip Girl 2021 Review (based on one episode)