Summer of Netflix Day 42 - Super
Joel: Super came out around the same time that Kick Ass did, and seeing that they’re both the story of a regular person who one day decided to become a superhero like you see in the comic books. But where Kick Ass takes this idea over the top and pretty much becomes a superhero movie of its own by the end, Super stays very grounded and realistic with the idea. That’s not to say that Super is a better movie. It is certainly a different type of movie, one that is grittier and darker. Super takes a lot more time to explore the consequences of vigilante justice as well as the state of mind a person would have to be in to go through with the idea of being a street level superhero. It’s very uncomfortable in places, but it’s supposed to be. You’re supposed to feel uncomfortable at points at how this movie isn’t playing out like comic book movies are supposed to play out. I can’t say that it was a more enjoyable movie or a better movie than Kick Ass. Despite starting with the same idea, the two movies wind up being so different they’re almost incomparable. It didn’t hit every note right, but I will say it’s a brave movie to explore some of the places it explored and it did handle it incredibly well.
Alexa: I completely agree about your comparisons to Kick-Ass, Joel. Though the two movies begin with the same general idea, they go down completely different paths. I would say that Kick-Ass was more enjoyable, but I don’t know that Super was meant to be particularly enjoyable. Sure, there were some moments that were darkly funny, but it’s more about Frank’s mental state, and later Libby’s far more twisted mental state, and what motivates these characters to handle their problems in this way. I do think Super more accurately depicts how people would react if someone really did decide to become a superhero, not with admiration but with hesitation, confusion and fear. I also forgot what a compelling actor Rainn Wilson is beyond his role as Dwight in The Office. I would really like to see him lead more projects. I was most curious about Super because it was directed by James Gunn, who directed my favorite Marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians is pretty tame compared to the hyper-violent and emotionally disturbing nature of Super, but you can see a lot of the same strengths that made Gunn’s Marvel movie feel so fresh – his use of music, sense of humor and his skilled work with actors. Super is messy, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t, but overall I thought it was a solid movie that had a lot to say.
Chris: Far be it for me to be the third one on this post to make comparisons between Super and Kick-ass but it’s truly unavoidable given the similar themes of a normal person in the present day that decides to become a vigilante super hero. The difference is the misguidedness of the main characters in Super; Frank does split a guy’s head open for cutting in line for pete’s sake. Super does explore a subject that isn’t covered in KA and that’s what mental state someone must be in in order to desire a life of vigilantism. In Frank’s case, it’s due to mental distress and instability as he pursues this lifestyle because of visions and hallucinations. I will say that I enjoyed the more abstract interpretation of his vision that was played out in the end as far as him realizing that he may not exactly be the “chosen” one but yet his actions opened up the possibility for the “chosen” one(s) in the future. Rainn Wilson’s delivery of the “the rules were set long ago” line was incredible and served as a great dramatic climax for the entire movie.
Your Viewing Homework for Tomorrow: Much Ado About Nothing




Comments
Post a Comment