The Full Spectrum: Dear Hunter's Red EP

The Dear Hunter - Red EP

This particular EP was a dream collaboration that I didn't know that I wanted until it actually happened. The Red EP includes additional vocals provided by Manchester Orchestra front-man Andy Hull as well as some instrumentation, if I'm correct. Essentially, Red is the love-child of Dear Hunter and Manchester Orchestra and the offspring is some pretty great music as two of the present day best songwriters come together. And if it sounds like I'm being completely biased, you couldn't be more correct because these are two of my favorite bands becoming best friends and it warms my innards. The highlight of this EP has to be A Curse of Cynicism because it harnesses the unique vocal abilities of both Hull and Casey Crescenzo. Speaking of, I've often wondered why Dear Hunter chose the Red EP specifically to feature Andy Hull because Hull can cover a lot of ground in terms of fitting into different types of songs. However, Hull is at his best when he is singing emotionally, whether it be the intense yet quieter songs of Right Away, Great Captain! or just the sheer yell-singing in Manchester Orchestra. I also really like the flow of it as well. It begins with I Couldn't Do It Alone which eases the audience into the premise of Red, A Curse of Cynicism hits you with a wall of sound but has a great rhythm to carry you along and the same can be said for Deny It All and finally, We've Got a Score to Settle is just a punch to the mouth of parking and barking. I view the last song as a way to get all the anger out so we can mellow out for the rest of the Color Spectrum because Red is by far the loudest and most emotional EP in the entire spectrum and I loved every second of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

Gossip Girl 2021 Review (based on one episode)