THE Day of Halloween - Nightmare Before Christmas



Jason: And now, for the piece de resistance! Ever since this movie came out, there has been a debate amongst fans. Is this a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie? I’ve always ascribed to the philosophy “Porque no los dos?” and thus I watch it every Halloween AND Christmas. Anyone who has ever known me knows that I can recite this film from front to back, dialogue, sound effects, and all. I don’t know what it is about it but I just love it dearly. When it first came out, it was not the first stop-motion animation movie. There have been claymation films and stop motion for almost as long as there have been movies! See Ray Harryhousen for some of the best in the craft. But this was one of the first fully stop-motion feature films to use armature puppets. It was also Tim Burton’s first go at a feature length animated film and it is arguably still his best. The music is memorable and singable. The story, while full of deeper meaning, is light and enjoyable. I dunno, I could talk about Nightmare for days and not get tired of it.
Now, I know some people out there don’t like it. *cough cough chris* But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t the perfect Halloween movie to watch on the actual day. It was either this or Hocus Pocus and that one isn’t on Netflix...

Joel: I’ve never been overly fond of this movie. I don’t think it’s the movie’s fault. I enjoyed it fine the first time that I saw it, but it felt like everyone else was heaping unending and undeserved praise on it. So even though I actually enjoyed the movie, I’ve frequently found myself in the position of criticizing it which I think got me down on the movie in general. So I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it on this rewatch. It’s still by no means a perfect movie, but the music is a definite highlight and I had forgotten about the spider snowflake which made me genuinely laugh. It’s by no means the strongest film on the resume of anybody who worked on it, but I would like to have on the record that even though I’m usually the one who has to point out the flaws in the movie, it still is a very good movie.

Chris: I hate this movie. I hate all of you but I hate Jason most of all. I roomed with that guy for a year and a half in college and he knows how much I really don't care about Nightmare Before Christmas and I also know how much he thinks it's the best thing since there were things to be the best of. 
When I first told friends of mine about this whole 13 Days of Halloween thing, I mentioned this would be THE Halloween movie at the end and they all gave me weird looks. My only response would be for me to shrug and say "I don't know, I didn't decide it." But truth be told, I DO know Waffle Jason J-Roll Bostic did this just to make me angry. He's a giant knob for doing so and speaking of giant knobs, I'm gonna review Boogie Nights now in protest.


It was good. Marky Mark had a giant wiener but at least this wasn't Nightmare Before Christmas. The End.
Chris 1-0
Jason 3-9-1

Seriously, everybody have a safe and happy Halloween tonight. We hope you've enjoyed these 13 Days of Halloween or at least enjoyed Chris feeling like this whole thing was torture. We will be back next week with the West Wing year review, a review of all the Wrestlemania's in December and then a special 12 Days of Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

We need to talk about what Brandon Sanderson just did

Gossip Girl 2021 Review (based on one episode)