Day 6 of Halloween - Grabbers



Jason: On Dark Skies day, I mentioned that there were two alien movies on the list. This is technically the second. I say that this is technically an alien movie for two reasons: First, at the beginning, we see a meteor crash into the ocean, which you are supposed to assume is how the creatures got here. And second, the director has said he specifically made references to Ridley Scott’s original Alien film franchise in the movie. Other than that, this is a straight-up creature feature all the way.

It is truly amazing what can happen when you start with a dumb idea, add a giant tentacle monster, and douse the whole thing in alcohol. OK, so the plot is a little thin and the characters are super predictable. But that is what makes this movie charming! The dynamic between Lisa and O’Shea is adorable from the very beginning. And only in Ireland can you get away with the silly town drunk being the voice of reason and logic. Paddy’s character is delightful. Also, I think we should all start using Irish slang from now on. It just sounds so fun.
It’s light on horror but big on laughs and giant creepy monster fun. Highly suggested for all.

Joel: Of the two alien invasion movies on the list, this one’s clearly the superior film. There are just so many good things to say about the movie. It’s a strange tale of getting drunk to survive an attack. It’s silly, smart, and interesting all at the same time. It doesn’t stray too far away from its initial premise, being drunk keeps you safe from the aliens, but with that premise you have so many different things that you can play with, and the movie takes advantage of just about all of them. There’s the town drunk who suddenly becomes the voice of reason. On the other hand, we also have the person who never drinks, but now has to in order to stay safe. There are a whole slew of side characters who are all charming. The priest has just a handful of lines in the movie but makes each one of them memorable. It’s not particularly a terrifying movie, but it is genuinely funny. One extended gag in particular had me laughing throughout the whole thing. From subtle jokes, to big, overblown bits, it's a silly, fun enjoyable movie that really worked in every aspect.

Chris: I was holding off on writing my part of this post for a little while because I was having an internal debate over whether or not I wanna give credit to Jason for putting a horror movie on the list that I actually ended up liking. I’ve got through this before with Cockneys vs Zombies because it was more of a comedy with the presence of Zombies so I ended up saying it was a tie. However, I’m willing to give Jason a full point for this because I enjoyed it that much. It’s a sea creature alien horror/comedy set in Ireland where, of course, the solution to the problem is consuming a ridiculous amounts of alcohol. And sure, I could make the argument that it’s more comedy than horror but it’s probably valid but I don’t care. The amount that I enjoyed this movie won’t allow me to do anything but put one in the win column for Jason on this one. Congrats, buddy. Don’t get your hopes up for the rest of the movies. 1-4-1




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

Gossip Girl 2021 Review (based on one episode)