Star Wars Blue Ray Art revealed.

Because yesterday was May the 4th (as in May the fourth be with you) Lucasfilm took the opportunity to reveal some rather big news about the upcoming Star Wars Blue Ray releases, namely the Cover Art.

Three images were released, One for the Original Trilogy boxed set, One for the Prequel trilogy, and one for the Complete Saga.


The two trilogy packs, as seen below, feature artwork with giant heads of some of the main characters, Darth Vader (for the original trilogy) and Yoda (for the prequel trilogy.) These both remind me a bit of the "big head" boxed set that came out back in the 90s.






















The Complete Saga art on the other hand surprised me a bit. Take a look.



First of all, the art is much more simple than we're used to. Most of the DVD releases in the past have featured very busy pictures featuring several characters, as well as some action scenes or explosions for good measure. In contrast, this picture only has the two main characters one from each trilogy, and a very barren landscape with Tatooine.
I'm also a bit surprised that they chose to put the Jake Lloyd version of Anakin on the cover, since he is in only one of the six movies. My guess is that each of the characters left the same place to go out on an adventure, and the picture shows each character doing that, at whatever age that they did. As a piece of artwork, I must say I enjoy it a great deal, however I still question its use as the single picture to represent the entire saga on Blu Ray.

To me, the entire six Star Wars movies, chronicle the fall and redemption of Darth Vader, so I'm surprised to not see him on the cover, as he is the character that ties the entire story together. I know that he is technically there as Anakin, but because the Darth Vader mask has become such a symbol for the saga, I really expected to see it on the cover somewhere. It seems that this picture is more of a representation of two separate adventures taken by two different characters (Anakin and Luke) rather than one overarching story. Using the Lars Homestead as a representation of a similar starting point for both characters could show a common link between the two stories though.

I don't think that there is any wrong answer as to what should go on the box of the Star Wars Blu Rays. It is a crammed full saga and near impossible to sum up into a single picture. I think that this picture works, and I also think that there would be several other options that would have worked as well. What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muppets for Best Song!

Day 5 of Halloween - The Fly (1958)

You're the Worst 5.13: "Pancakes"